With nearly 3 million people in the area and a mediocre patchwork of public transit, reliable transportation in San Diego is a must. Thus, vehicles in constant need of repairs are simply unacceptable here. If you purchased or leased such a vehicle, our San Diego Lemon Law lawyers can help you collect your choice of a refund or a replacement vehicle.
Consumers who suffer from manufacturers’ defective vehicles often falsely believe that they can’t afford a lawyer to stand up for their rights. At Krohn & Moss, Ltd. Consumer Law Center®, we never ask you to pay for our services out of your own pocket. Instead, we make car companies pay our clients for the hassle of owning a Lemon PLUS our legal fees.
The California Lemon Law includes a fee-shifting provision. Because of it, manufacturers are required to pay consumers’ attorneys’ fees when the consumer wins a Lemon Law case in San Diego. And since we at Krohn & Moss, Ltd. only collect payment when our clients prevail, we can help those who are most in need without billing them for our services.
Qualifying for Compensation Under the Lemon Law in San Diego
Before you can return your vehicle for a refund or replacement, it needs to be officially classified as a Lemon. For that to happen, the vehicle must have a defect that substantially impairs its use, value, or safety. The defect must be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. And you must give the manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to fix it.
What does “a reasonable number of repair attempts” mean?
It depends on the defect. If the defect has the potential to cause serious bodily injury or end someone’s life, two failed repair attempts will suffice. For lesser defects, manufacturers are allowed four repair attempts before you can make a claim. And if your car is out of service for repairs for more than 30 days, that also counts as a “reasonable” number of repair attempts.
In San Diego, the Lemon Law only applies to certain vehicles. To qualify for compensation under the law, cars and trucks must
- be a passenger vehicle
- weigh less than 10,000 pounds; AND
- be purchased or leased in the State of California in a retail transaction.
Additionally, the law excludes businesses and individuals with more than 5 vehicles registered in California from making a Lemon Law claim.
If your vehicle meets those requirements, our Lemon Law attorneys in San Diego, CA can help. Reach out to us today for a free consultation so we can get to work on winning your case.
What to Expect When Working with Our Law Firm
When you first reach out for help, we’ll ask for some basic information about your case. We’ll need to know the make, model, and year of your vehicle. We’ll also need to know about the history of repair attempts, when you purchased the vehicle, and the nature of the defect in question.
If you’ve already provided the vehicle’s manufacturer with a reasonable number of chances to repair the defect, our next step will be to file for arbitration. This involves gathering any evidence to support your claim. If you have the paperwork from the repair attempts and from the original sale/lease, we’ll ask you to provide them. If you don’t, we can obtain those documents on your behalf.
Once the arbitration board hears your claim, they’ll issue a verdict. When it’s a clear-cut case of a Lemon, the arbitrators should award you the full compensation possible under the law. But whatever they decide, it’s up to you to accept or reject the decision. If you aren’t satisfied, we’ll file a civil action in the courts of San Diego, California.
It’s incredibly unlikely that your case will ever go to trial. Fewer than 1% of our cases ever do. In the other 99% of cases, our clients choose to accept a settlement. Settlements typically consist of a refund, replacement, or a cash settlement. To date, we have helped over 9,000 consumers in California to collect such a settlement.
Our job is to protect your rights. So we’ll fight for whatever compensation will make you whole. That includes rental car fees, towing costs, or any other expenses you incurred because of your Lemon.
Car companies fill law offices with high-priced lawyers who will do everything they can to avoid paying you. But with our Lemon Law attorneys, San Diego residents can fight back and stand up for what’s right. Don’t let manufacturers get away with selling Lemons. Touch base with us today so we can get to work on getting you paid.
Did You Purchase or Lease a Lemon in San Diego, California?
You can learn more about the Lemon Law in San Diego and throughout California, by visiting any of our other pages on the topic:
You can also take our 60-second Lemon Test to find out if you have a case almost instantly. Or, for input from one of our San Diego Lemon Law attorneys, reach out to us for a FREE CASE REVIEW. We’ve dedicated our careers to sticking up for people like you. Contact us today so we can defend your right and get you paid!