The Basics of the Lemon Law in Illinois
The New Vehicle Buyer Protection Act (Illinois’ Lemon Law) protects consumers by requiring vehicle manufacturers to refund or replace vehicles with defects that significantly impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The law also provides manufacturers with opportunities to repair defective vehicles before they must return them.
If you have a lemon, the Illinois lemon law attorneys at Krohn & Moss, Ltd. Consumer Law Center® can help you collect the refund or replacement vehicle you’re owed. And we only get paid for cases we win.
- New passenger cars designed for carrying not more than 10 persons.
- Excludes vehicles weighing more than 8,000 lbs and the camping or travel trailers of recreational vehicles.
Number of required repair attempts
- Four repair attempts for the same defect.
- 30 business days out of service for repairs, regardless of the number of repair attempts.
When repair attempts must occur
Within 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Don’t worry if your car doesn’t meet these requirements, you may still be able to file a claim under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
What Does the Lemon Law in Illinois Cover?
The Lemon Law in Illinois covers new vehicles (see FAQ section above for information about used cars), that were purchased or leased primarily for personal, household, or family purposes. This covers a wide variety of motor vehicles, including cars, trucks, and recreational vehicles. To be protected by the law, the vehicle must meet a few basic requirements:
- The vehicle weighs less than 8,000 pounds
- It has a defect that substantially impairs its use, safety, or value
- The vehicle’s defect is covered by any of its applicable express warranties
If the vehicle has a defect that the manufacturer fails to repair after a reasonable number of attempts, they must replace the vehicle or refund its purchase price. The Illinois Lemon Law requires these attempts to be made within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles after the purchase date. And the law defines “reasonable number of attempts” as:
- 4 attempts for the same issue
- Any number of attempts that take a total of 30 business days or more
If your vehicle meets the above requirements, we can help you collect the compensation you deserve. That compensation can take the form of a full refund, less a small fee for your use of the vehicle. Or you can get a new vehicle of comparable value. Contact us today to get started!
Federal Law Supplements the Illinois Lemon law
If the defects in your vehicle fall outside of the 12 months or 12,000 mile period of the Illinois Lemon Law, the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides more protection for Illinois’ consumers. Under federal law, a manufacturer must repair any defects that occur with the duration of the vehicle’s warranty within a reasonable time or a reasonable number of attempts.
The manufacturer must also deliver a vehicle that is “fit for its ordinary purpose” or of the level of quality you would expect. If the manufacturer fails to do either of these things, then you may recover monetary compensation designed to make you whole along with the payment of your attorneys’ fees. Contact us today to get the process started and learn your rights.
How To Make a Lemon Law Claim in Illinois?
Before you can file a Lemon Law claim in Illinois, you must try resolving disputes via informal settlement procedures with the vehicle manufacturer. In most cases, your vehicle’s warranty or owner’s manual will include details about such programs. If the manufacturer hasn’t provided written information about such a state-certified program, you can take immediate legal action.
Rather than reading through the fine print in all of your vehicle’s paperwork, contact an Illinois Lemon Law lawyer. We know which manufacturers have these kinds of settlement procedures and can help you through the process. And if the Dispute Board fails to rule in your favor, we’ll already have the evidence we need to bring a civil action and collect your compensation.
Why Choose Krohn & Moss as Your Illinois Lemon Law Firm?
- 25+ Years of Experience Turning “Lemons” into “Lemon-Aid”
- Over 50,000 Success Stories Nationwide
- Over 10,000 Lemon Law Settlements in Illinois Alone
- Accomplished, Trustworthy Attorneys
- Responds to All Inquiries within 24 Hours
- No Fees Unless We Win Your Case
- We Always Seek Maximum Compensation for Clients